Monthly overview of the National Income and Product Accounts (NIPA) estimates
2015 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
- Briefing: Results of the 2015 NIPA Annual Revisions (PDF)
- Table: Major Sources of Revision to Selected NIPA Components, 2012-2014 (PDF)
- Article: The 2015 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts (PDF)
Draft of Updated Table Formats
This file provides table stubs (titles, line numbers, labels, footnotes, and start and end dates) for approximately 40 NIPA tables that will change as result of methodology and presentation changes for the 2015 NIPA annual revision. These table formats are subject to revision up to the July 30 release. The article "Preview of the 2015 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts," in the June 2015 Survey of Current Business, describes the changes to the NIPA tables.
With the 2015 NIPA annual revision, BEA has updated its publication codes to ensure that a NIPA series which appears in multiple tables uses the same publication code throughout all tables. As a result, some NIPA series codes will change. This file provides a mapping of current codes for NIPA series to the new codes that will be introduced beginning on July 30. The file also provides a list of NIPA tables in which the NIPA series appears.
The table layouts below are for the convenience of users who wish to make advance preparations for downloading estimates from the gross domestic product news release tables soon after they are released. The July 30 release will include both the advance estimate of 2015:QII GDP and the annual revision of NIPAs. The table layouts contain no estimates, but they show the format in which the tables will be released including column headers, stubs, and footnotes. The table headers contain the years and quarters for the estimates that will be presented in each table.
- July 30 Advance GDP and Annual Revision release (XLSX)
- Layout for the 'standard' GDP news release tables (for the August 27 release and forward) (XLSX)
- Note: There are no changes to the Personal Income and Outlays news release table formats.
NIPA Estimation Methods
2014 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
2013 Comprehensive Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
May 15, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
- What changes in definitions and presentations will be introduced in the 2013 NIPA comprehensive revision?
- How did BEA change the treatment of spending for research and development during the 2013 comprehensive revision?
- What changes were made to pensions during the 2013 comprehensive revision, and how have the changes affected private, federal, and state and local compensation?
- What is a NIPA benchmark or comprehensive revision?
- What are changes in definitions to the NIPA accounts?
- How do benchmark estimates differ from annual revisions or monthly "current" estimates?
- What are the major sources of new data that are incorporated during a comprehensive revision?
- Why are real estimates rebased?
- BEA's R&D Satellite Account
Background Papers and Past Releases of the Research and Development Satellite Account
- Research Spotlight: Artistic Originals as Capital Assets (PDF)
SCB, June 2011
- Research Spotlight: Defined Benefit Pensions and Household Income and Wealth (PDF)
SCB, August 2009
2012 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
2011 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
2010 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
2009 comprehensive revision
On July 31, 2009, the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) released the results of the comprehensive, or benchmark, revision of the national income and product accounts (NIPAs). The comprehensive revision incorporated the results of the 2002 benchmark input-output (I-O) accounts as well as changes in definitions, classifications, statistical methods, source data, and presentation.
- National Income and Product Accounts Tables | June 8, 2009
- Underlying Detail for the National Income and Product Accounts Tables | June 8, 2009
NIPA annual revisions
Concepts and methods
The fifth chapter of the NIPA handbook, which discusses the concepts, source data, and estimating methods for personal consumption expenditures, is now available.
NIPA-related research papers
The views expressed in these papers are solely those of the authors and not necessarily those of the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis or the U.S. Department of Commerce.