Monthly overview of the National Income and Product Accounts (NIPA) estimates
2014 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
- Briefing: Results of the 2014 NIPA Annual Revision (PDF)
- Table: Major Sources of Revision to Selected NIPA Components, 2011-2013 (PDF)
Draft of Updated NIPA Table Formats
July 2014 GDP news release tables
NIPA 2014 Draft Annual Revision Table Release Plan
- June 16: Web release of draft formats for new and modified NIPA tables, including table titles, line stubs, and footnotes, but no estimates.
- July 30: At 8:30 a.m., advance GDP news release for 2014:QII.
- July 30: Web release of the quarterly “Selected” NIPA tables through BEA’s interactive data system and by text and csv (comma-delimited) files; the release of the “Selected” NIPA tables will not include a PDF version.
- August 1: Personal income and outlays news release for June 2014, and Web release of monthly NIPA tables.
- By August 8: Web release of “Underlying Detail” tables through BEA’s interactive data system.
- By August 15: Web release of most NIPA tables not included in the “Selected” NIPA tables through BEA’s interactive data system.
- August Survey of Current Business: Publication of the article that details the 2014 annual revision of the national income and product accounts and will include:
- The seven NIPA summary accounts
- The table of selected components and major source data
- The tables of revisions to major aggregates
- September-October-November: Release of NIPA tables 2.9, 3.15-3.23, 5.10, and 7.19, and of the fixed asset accounts tables through BEA’s interactive data system.
2013 Comprehensive Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
May 15, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
- What changes in definitions and presentations will be introduced in the 2013 NIPA comprehensive revision?
- How did BEA change the treatment of spending for research and development during the 2013 comprehensive revision?
- What changes were made to pensions during the 2013 comprehensive revision, and how have the changes affected private, federal, and state and local compensation?
- What is a NIPA benchmark or comprehensive revision?
- What are changes in definitions to the NIPA accounts?
- How do benchmark estimates differ from annual revisions or monthly "current" estimates?
- What are the major sources of new data that are incorporated during a comprehensive revision?
- Why are real estimates rebased?
- BEA's R&D Satellite Account
Background Papers and Past Releases of the Research and Development Satellite Account
- Research Spotlight: Artistic Originals as Capital Assets (PDF)
SCB, June 2011
- Research Spotlight: Defined Benefit Pensions and Household Income and Wealth (PDF)
SCB, August 2009
2012 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
2011 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
2010 Annual Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts
2009 comprehensive revision
On July 31, 2009, the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) released the results of the comprehensive, or benchmark, revision of the national income and product accounts (NIPAs). The comprehensive revision incorporated the results of the 2002 benchmark input-output (I-O) accounts as well as changes in definitions, classifications, statistical methods, source data, and presentation.
- National Income and Product Accounts Tables | June 8, 2009
- Underlying Detail for the National Income and Product Accounts Tables | June 8, 2009
NIPA annual revisions
Concepts and methods
The fifth chapter of the NIPA handbook, which discusses the concepts, source data, and estimating methods for personal consumption expenditures, is now available.
NIPA-related research papers
The views expressed in these papers are solely those of the authors and not necessarily those of the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis or the U.S. Department of Commerce.